Friday, May 1, 2009

"The End"...random pics from Alaska

Thirty days have past since my visit to Seattle and Alaska and I have finally downloaded and organized all my pictures. I cherish the memories...watching DJ and Ciara meet their new brother for the first time, enjoying Ivy's 3rd birthday party, relaxing with Roger at Adam & Emily's and with Sheldon & Alisa on a Sunday afternoon, vacationing with Kaden and Alexa at the Marriott, spending quality time with Matt, admiring Kasey adjust to having a fourth child, and finally....experiencing the unpredictability of a volcano. Here are my final pics...

I had boarded the airplane for my flight to SLC via Seattle. The pilot announced that Mt. Redoubt had just erupted AGAIN and that we were going to try taking off to the northeast to avoid the approaching ash. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. But it was shortlived. No sooner had the doors been locked and we pushed off, the pilot announced the flight was cancelled (my 3rd cancelled flight). The lady in front of me started to cry. The gentleman next to me uttered a few colorful words...and....well, I went into "humanitarian trip mode". Thank you Roger! You have taught me well. All these years of going on humanitarian trips with you, your wise counsel echoed within..."go with the flow"...so, instead of being upset, I was at peace. This was just an episode of a small inconvenience. I quickly called Matt and he and the kids came back to the airport. The air was filled with minute particles of sulfuric ash. The taste was aweful and our eyes and throats were getting irritated. Matt quickly placed my luggage in the back of the truck and we secured ourselves inside the car. On the way out from the airport, the traffic stopped abruptly. We wondered why? Two moose were crossing the street. The moment was breathtaking...it was as if mother nature had raised her gnarled head in one moment and in another, had provided a gift of majestic living things to remind us of our place in her grand scheme.
 


Family Home Evening at the Henry household was so fun. Matt read a story...
 


...the kids sang and danced
 


...Sienna listened carefully to the story
...while Ethan captured grandma bev's heart!
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: