February 14, 2011 was an ah-ha moment for me. It was a nice quiet evening. No fanfare for Roger and me. I prefer a nutritious home-cooked meal free from all the chatter of restaurant dining. I prefer our cozy well-lit home, free from the distractions of local dining and no waiting lines. We exchange valentine cards; Roger buys a few chocolate covered cherries from Cummings and places a bouquet of my favorite flowers on the table. That’s it….
After we cleaned up the dishes, we gathered in our “serenity room”. It’s my favorite place in the house. Both of us sit in ‘our’ chairs, retrieve our laptops and we start watching the tivo’d (without commercials) news. We talk about our day’s activities and its heaven. Roger usually has humanitarian emails to respond to and we discuss other items of interest.
Well, on this valentine’s evening I was reading a family member’s blog describing all the couple’s ‘special songs’ that were meaningful in their relationship. There must have been 25 songs listed. I turned to Roger and said, “Roger, we don’t have OUR song”. At this point, Roger didn't understand my Venus statement. I continued, “Why don’t we have a special song?” He thought for a moment then answered, “I don’t know”. I knew I was not going to get anywhere in this line of questioning. After some silence, he reminded me, “Yes, we BOTH have our special songs. Roger reminded me of his song motto, “Just Treat Her like a Lady”. I agreed that indeed, he treats me like a lady and I appreciate that trait in him every day. He is always kind, soft-spoken and very patient! Then he reminded me of my song. It comes from the musical, The Sound of Music. The song is "I Must Have Done Something Good."
You see, when I was dating Roger, I couldn’t believe someone like him could love someone like me. I felt like Julie Andrews when Captain VonTrapp fell in love with her. Let’s get things straight, I’m no Julie Andrews, but I related to her feelings of, ‘how come’. Ignore the phrase ‘wicked childhood’ and ‘miserable youth’ because I had a wonderful childhood and youth.
Some of this song doesn’t pertain to me, but Roger and I felt we must have done something good to find each other at this season of our lives. So, now I can confidently say Roger and I have our songs. We may have 25 more….except we can’t remember them!
Well, that evening I started making a documentary of our 10 years together. I worked on it from time to time and finally finished it 3 months later. (I had a heck of a time learning ‘windows media movie maker’.) Here's 10 years summarized in a few minutes.
After hours of trying to get blogger to upload my video, I discovered they don't support that function anymore...not even in the 'old editor' setting. (rats) So, as a 'work around', if you're really interested, cut and paste the following link into your browser. I don't think you have to sign in to Windows Live; but its free if you have to. My documentary is now stored with SkyDrive and is 'in the clouds' for viewing. (This is so not cool!)
https://cid-26c886e689d5c722.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Reflections/Valentine%20movie.wmv
No comments:
Post a Comment