Friday, October 17, 2008

Counting My Blessings

The date was July 27th. I was in Rockford, Illinois visiting my aunt. I received a call from Emily around 8pm. She had just arrived by car in SLC with the girls to visit her family. She informed me she had just received a phone call from Adam stating he had had a dirt bike accident. She was leaving the girls with her family and was taking the first available flight back to Seattle. She didn’t know much because Adam was highly sedated because of the pain. The agony of not knowing what’s happening during a medical crisis was beyond words.

Adam and a friend, John Warren, were dirt biking a track near Widbey Island. Approximately 11:30 am he lost control of the bike and flipped. Adam related that he knew he had a serious injury because of the excruciating pain, but felt relieved that he could wiggle his toes. 911 was called, but the ambulance couldn’t find the remote track. Waiting for help to arrive was beyond description, recalls Adam. He remembers sever pain and not able to talk because of his shallow breathing. Finally, the ambulance arrived and he was transport to Widbey General Hospital on the Island of Widbey. He arrived at Widbey about 12:47 pm. Radiology confirmed a right clavicle fracture (fx), L2 burst fx, 7th rib fx and dependent atelectasis bilaterally. The severity of the injuries (mainly the L2 fx) exceeded the resources of Widbey General Hospital so he was lifeflighted around 3am, July 28th to Harborview Trauma Medical Center in downtown Seattle…56 miles away. His disposition remained critical according to a “patient care report” dated 7/27/08. Further diagnostic testing at Harborview revealed an 80% spinal canal compromise and malalignment of L1 in relation to L3. Surgery was expedited, and began at 9am. The surgery lasted 4 ½ hours.

As I understand, Emily arrived at the hospital just after they had taken Adam to the operating room. John Warren was there to offer support. Thank you John! Also, Mike Mullen and Chris Iorg were at his side. You guys are the best! Soon, Alisa was there to offer support and comfort to Emily.

The surgical procedure planned was an open reduction internal fixation (ORIF, method of repairing fx bone with screws and rods to stabilize the bone), and laminectomy (removal of bone fragments). However, when the surgeons opened him up, “it was noted in the facet joints about at T11-T12 were opened and the decision was at that time to extend his fusion up to T11, so the T11 transverse was then exposed. At this time it was also readily visualized that the fracture at L2 and the L1-L2 joints at that level were also opened.” So instead of an initial L2 fusion, the surgeons placed 2 titanium rods and 9 bolts stabilizing his spine, thus fusing T11, T12, L1, L2 and L3.

There was no room at the ‘Inn’ after surgery, so Adam was placed in an ER draped space. After day 3 he was able to obtain a room. Matt flew to Seattle to be with his bro and to make sure everything was being done according to protocol. It’s interesting to read that Matt was referenced as "Adam’s brother, an anesthesia resident from Alaska". Adam’s employer provided a hotel room for Emily so she could be nearby, but she spent most of her time at Adam’s side.

My heart was so touched to hear that Mike, Chris and John were there…even staying the entire night with him! Dudes, you are amazing guys! On July 31st, Adam’s O2 levels dropped to 30% which is dangerously low (normal is in the 90s). He was rushed into the ICU where a pulmonary embolus (blood clot) was found in his lung. He was immediately put on warfarin and improved significantly over the next 24 hours. Matt reviewed the nursing notes and discovered Adam’s pressure boots initially were not place around Adam’s legs post operatively and when they were placed, the nurses failed to initiate compression. This may have (oh yes) contributed significantly to the development of the blood clot.

I was amazed at Emily’s inner strength to endure such a life-threatening situation. She has earned her ‘nurses cap’ and remains Adam’s recovering companion. Thank you sososo much Emily!

During this time, Emily’s family, Roger and I watched the girls so Emily could devote her time to Adam. In retrospect, it was a good thing that the girls could be taken care of by family while Emily was attending to Adam. On August 4th, I flew to Seattle. Going through this long-distance was so stressful. I wanted to touch and feel my son, and listen to his voice. I wanted to look into his eyes, stroke his cheeks and know he was all right. It seems those feelings don’t leave when a child leaves the nest. Those feelings of motherly love continue beyond life’s continuum. I am so grateful for the Lord’s tender mercies in our behalf. I am so grateful the severe spinal compromise was alleviated and corrected. I am so grateful to live in this, the great land of America….to have access to the level of healthcare we all enjoy. I am so grateful for the strength given to all of us as we passed through this chapter of life. I am so grateful for the strength I received from Roger, my wonderful husband, friend and companion. He has been a beacon of strength. He has watched me walk into the airport many times to feed and console my aching heart. Thank you so much Roger for all your support!

Adam is recovering remarkably well. The neurosurgeons give him an excellent prognosis for returning back to the activities, as he once knew. He must be on warfarin (blood thinner) for six months. He has returned to part-time work and continues to improve. Thank you EVERYONE for all your prayers in Adam’s and Emily's behalf.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sue said...

Bev, I cried reading this post. I am so glad that Adam is ok.