This was the best trip I've had to Alaska. I watched the 3 kids while Matt and Kasey went to Ft. Collins to find a home. However, they took Ethan and I was disappointed. Ethan is so dang cute. I couldn't get enuf of him. He has such a happy disposition and laughs practially all the time. He has invented what I call the "E Game". I first noticed this game when I heard a loud thump. Upon investigating, Ethan was having a ball bumping into everything. He puts his blanket on top of his head and then he walks around trying to find a wall to bump into...then he starts laughing and laughing. If his blanket was white, he'd certainly be "Casper, the friendly Ghost". It was hilarious to watch!
Well, GranPam, I've caved into your tradition AND I actually loved it!....that is, grandkids taking turns sleeping with gwama bev. Kaden is the best heater...his body temp radiates the entire surface of the bed. Alexa is the best reader...her ability to read at this age was amazing. Sienna is the best pretender...she pretends to read and has the most entertaining imagination. Sienna also wakes up with messy hair and she's not the least bit concerned about it....she thinks it's funny...and I did too!
I got to attend Alexa's debut in "The Ugly Duckling". It was so fun.
When I reviewed all the pics I took, I couldn't believe this one. Alexa's eyes are actually twinkling...and it's not a camera red eye. I could tell she felt magical inside because her glow captured her essence.
I tried to take pictures of all the kids after the play. It was frustrating, to say the least. I know now why I don't have any family pictures from any of our kids...you can't get everyone to smile at the same time. But in Sienna's defense, she was either on my lap or wiggling on the seat next to me for 2 1/2 hours! I think she did remarkably well considering it was 9:30pm. Frustrating Photo shoot
While I couldn't wait to see Alaska in daylight, I later hated it. It never got dark! That meant the kids didn't want to go to bed while it was still light outside. I have a greater respect for Kasey and Matt having to deal with Alaska's unnatural elements of nature for these past two years.
I got the chance to see Kaden play baseball in the first game of the season. He was awesome. Is there any sport he can't play? I don't think so. During the game the girls and I spent a few minutes at the nearby playground. The ballpark and playground setting was beautiful at the base of the mountain.
I got to take Sienna to her ballet lessons. I discovered she doesn't like to wear leotards, hence the leggins. I also discovered she doesn't like the leggins either. Her dance teacher told me she was hoping to get Sienna in her leotards for their recital. Good luck Kasey!
I attended Crockett Elementary School in El Paso, Texas from 1958-1966. I distinctly remember the end of the school year assemblies. The auditorium had a large stage with a huge dance floor that would be transformed into seating. The seating beyond the folding chairs was theatre type with a balcony in a U shape facing the stage. I remember distinctly the excitement of these assemblies. Certificates, ribbons and special recognitions were presented. I remember when my name was called...I remember the butterflies in my stomach as I walked to the front of the stage...While I don't remember any of the honors given, I DO remember the feeling of excitement. It was such a wonderful experience to see Kaden and Alexa at their end of school assembly. I hope they, too, will remember these moments.
I can't wait to have this photo put in Kaden's wedding video...18 yrs from now.
I got to take Sienna to her final day at preschool. It was a bike/scooter rally and picnic at a park. I learned many things. I planned on 10 minutes to pack the car with her scooter, helmet and pads....reality, it took 20 minutes. I planned on 10 minutes putting on her helmet and pads...reality, it took 25 minutes. It was supposed to be a bike rally....reality, Sienna preferred playing on the nearby playground. Lesson learned...this grandma doesn't know how to plan ahead.
No trip is complete without a Chuckie Cheese visit. Mr. Chuckie made an appearance and had the kids sing, "If You're Happy and You Know It". Then the large 'animal' tossed hundred of tickets in the air. I do believe Kaden gathered most of them. The kids had a great time, but I made a BIG MISTAKE. I let the kids redeemed their tickets for inflatable swords. The swords ended up on top of the fridge in 'time out' because of the contention it caused. Grandma Bev learned an important lesson.
I am melancholy as I write my last post about my memorable experiences in Alaska. The time I spent in Alaska were truly adventures for this grandma....an adventure in extremes sparkled with beauties of nature in one of this country's last frontiers. I will always remember the feeling of watching the sunset across the ocean from the top of the Marriott hotel; I will always remember the beauty of the nordiac track and watching Alexa and Kaden glide across the snow; I will always remember my first reaction of getting off the airplane and observing Alaskans in their roughed attire...khaki shorts, worn hiking boots, wide brimmed hats and male burly facial hair (in all seasons)...truly a stark contrast compared to the people in the Seattle airport; I will always remember watching Alexa in her first theatrical role; I will always remember watching Kaden's first baseball game of the season at the base of majestic mountains; I will always remember cozy nights sleeping with the kids in the dark basement...almost mimicking a type of Alaskan hibernation; I will always remember Sienna's bear hugs; I will always remember Kaden telling me there wasn't school on Friday...and I actually believed him (I had to check with the neighbor to determine he was joking); I will always remember getting the kids up at 5am (we slept in the basement)for school (accidently) thinking it was 8am (as the kids discovered my error,we had a slumber party in the front room for the next 3 hours); I will always remember Kaden wanting to spend every minute after school snowboarding, until it got dark at 3:30pm; I will always remember the joy I felt walking the halls of the hospital with Matt,,,he was no longer my little boy, for he had grown into a man filling big man's shoes and excelling in every way; I will always remember Kasey's supportive attitude while Matt labored diligently to support a growing family; I will always remember welcoming our new Alaskan grandchild; I will always remember........ Congratulations to Matt and Kasey who have completed their 'hibernation' of residency. Thank you for all the Alaskan memories!








3 comments:
Great post!!! I LOVED ALL the details! And that was so funny about your memories of Crockett Elementary because I have the SAME ones! The butterflies in my stomach as I anticipated my name being called and how proud I felt as I received my certification... ahhh, memories! And Ethan's game is hilarious!
As Always, a wonderful post! You have a gift for writing and taking the reader on your journey. I loved the visit to Alaska and the fun with your grandchildren. Thanks!
What a great post-you captured their cute personalities so well and I loved the pictures. Love how you write and describe things!! The Henry fam did well with their Alaska adventure. Looks like Grammie had a fun time and I know Kasey always appreciates your help!!
Post a Comment