Friday, February 6, 2009

Welcome to My Pity Party

I hate menapause! Yep, you read it right. Sometimes I feel like I've lost the zest of womanhood. My hormones are either imbalanced or nonexistent.

Last night, in usual fashion, Roger and I were comfortably seated in front of the TV with our laptops nestled on our laps. I was watching a segment (with the wireless headphones so not to disturb Roger) from a tivod Oprah show that featured Suzanne Sommers.

Boy she really had a way of describing this 'stage of life'. She cited 7 characteristics we women may experience at this time....."we are ichy, bitchy, sweaty, sleepy, bloated, forgetful and all dried up...we have no hormones....we can 'do it', but we'd rather have a slurpy". I was laughing so hard, I almost peed in my pants! (that's another symptom). Roger looked up and wondered what all the ruckess was about. I then had him listen to a segment of the show. I was really lamenting the fact that men don't go through menapause (they should since the root word is 'men'). I told him that when I get up to heaven, the good Lord and I were going to have a sit down talk about the fairness of all this. However, Roger quickly put things in perspective. He reminded me that men DO go through menapause because they have to LIVE with it being married to a menapausal women! He has such a way with words.

Some woman are good candidates for hormone replacement, however, I am a high risk and cannot endulge in such luxuries. In fact, I'm now taking Evista as a preventative treatment for invasive breast cancer. Evista is an estrogen blocker.........so I get a double whammy of no estrogen. Studies have shown for women at high risk (an immediate family member with breast cancer combined with a history of more than 2 biopsys for calcifications), taking Evista or Tamoxifin (for 5 years) reduced their incidence of inflammatory breast cancer significantly.

I just feel like women have such a high risk of any female related cancers as we age. I have considered just taking off both boobs and having a hysterectomy, just to get everything out.....then I could take estrogen, progestin, testosterone....and feel vibrant again. Aging sucks.

Karen Frei, Sheldon's mom, periodically sends me funny comics. The clips below are from her. The audio was my selection. A couple of them really made me laugh. You'll need to download it in another media to read it...sorry.

4 comments:

Kasey said...

Hmmm. Suzanne Sommers could have been describing pregnancy as well! Wonderful. We women really do get the shaft, don't we?!

Alisa Frei said...

AMEN!!! I have to tell you this is the MOST, uncomforting post. I mean, it's an inevitable future. Depressing.

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Right there with you Bev!!!