Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy Birthday Jackson!

After Alisa came home from the hospital, I lost ALL concept of time. If you thought I didn't know what day it was before, having a newborn in the house puts the environment in a 24-hour holding pattern. I washed clothes, did the dishes, cooked the meals, transported Ciara and DJ to their various activities and most importantly, acquired a new appreciation for new moms. Jackson is so cute. DJ is very gentle, whereas Ciara....well, I don't think she has the same appreciation. It seems Ciara sees Jackson as another object to explore and play with. Ciara is fast as lightning and you have to watch her like a hawk. It's almost as if she waits until you are distracted to do her deed. I needed eyes in the back of my head watching this girl.

Roger has a patient who is a well-respected child psychologist. He has authored many books on child rearing. On one occasion, Roger asked him what his opinion was on the best way to raise kids. The author replied, "It's all about threats and bribes". Taking this advice into account, I have developed and created a new game that Grandma Bev brings with her when she visits grandkids. The name of the game is "GMG" aka 'Grandma's Money Game'. It's a simple game that children 5 yrs old and older enjoy playing. Children receive $1 for a good deed or an obedient action. Each $1 is placed on the refrigerator with kitchen magnets. Kitchen magnets are color-coded so each child is aware of how much money they have earned. For a naughty deed, or a disobedient act, grandma bev takes away a $1 and so forth. Grandma Bev makes sure she has the 'GMG' in her purse when she travels.

1 comment:

Karlena said...

I will have to try to remember that game when my grandchildren get older. You are such an inspiration.

Love, Karlena