Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Holiday Weekend

We spent the July 24th holiday weekend at the condo in Midway. It was so relaxing. We rented 6 videos, ate at our favorite restaurants, slept late (just me, Roger never sleeps in), attended ONE meeting at the Midway 6th ward and went horseback riding at Daniel's Summit. We had a blast. I had never been on a horse. Yep, I'm from Texas alright, but my mother never let us ride horses because dad had a cousin get killed on one. I grew up afraid of horses. But now I'm a grown up so that rule doesn't apply.

Roger remembers spending a couple weeks in the summer in Manti, Utah, as a kid. His dad had alot of relatives there and lots of cousins. Two of his cousins were genuine cowboys, Don and Glen Mackey. He idolized them and they let him ride their horses anytime he wanted. These pictures depict his equestrian grace.

 
Posted by Picasa


OK, so I looked scared. I didn't know how to get up on the saddle. I had to lift my left leg with my left hand because I don't have an ACL on that leg. Our guide asked my permission for him to place his left hand on my left butt....he also asked me if he could help me get on the horse! OK....so I liked it. Yea! I was on the horse. I asked our guide if there were padded saddles, but he said, 'nope'.

 
Posted by Picasa

 
Posted by Picasa


Roger enjoyed exploring the mountain.
 
Posted by Picasa


At the top of the mountain, we dismounted and took a rest. It was so beautiful to be a guest of mother nature. The experience filled our souls.
 
Posted by Picasa

 
Posted by Picasa


Here are some pics of Roger.
 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


Our guide pointed to this tree....see the bear claw markings? Scway! (as Kate pronounces it)
 
Posted by Picasa


The beauty of Daniel's Summit was breathtaking. I loved every minute. We hope to horseback ride again soon. (I have located a place on Redwood road that sells gel seats especially for saddles)
 
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Kasey said...

What beautiful pictures Bev! Good job! And congrats on getting on the horse. I haven't been in years but have always thought it was fun.

Alisa Frei said...

Gorgeous pictures mom! How fun! Don't you think that the "pushing your butt up on the saddle" photo could have been a little more, say, graceful? It was hilarious!

Nicole said...

That looks like so much fun! I am so impressed that you got on a horse even though you had never been on one. I guess I know what we will be doing with Kate the next time we go to Utah!

Sue said...

Absolutely beautiful country! You two are having way too much fun!!

Karlena said...

Bev, you look great on the horse. You take great pictures and I really do want to start traveling with you in a couple of years. YOu do know how to have fun.
Beautiful country!!!