Sunday, November 28, 2010

Workn' For Room & Board

Alex is my nephew. He's attending BYU/Idaho. For Thanksgiving break he was flying to see friends in Portland. So he hitched a ride to SLC and spent the night at Harries B&B. His flight left SLC at 8:15am. Aunt Bev discussed with him that an 8am flight leaving SLC on a holiday meant one had to be at the airport at least 2 hours before departure. I couldn't bear the thought of calling a cab and putting an 18yr old in a cab with a ethnic stranger....plus I didn't want the cabdriver to know where we lived. So I resigned myself to getting up at 5:30am for my dear nephew.

That evening my discussion with Alex went something like this:

Aunt Bev: "Wasn't there a later flight out of SLC?"
Alex: "Oh yeah, there was; but it was $100 cheaper to take the early flight. And since I was paying for it, I took the cheaper option."

It was so funny to be in his 18yr old mind for a split second.

But his timing was impeccable. A storm was expected and Roger and I hadn't raked all the leaves up yet. So.....since Alex was downstairs, I called, "ALEX, would you help me rake up the leaves." To my astonishment he leaped up the stairs and said, "Sure, Aunt Bev". He continued, "Aunt Bev, you don't have to help me, I can do this" Boy was I impressed. I declined his offer and we worked together. It was a fun time.

On his way back from Portland, his ride was delayed because of the weather, so his stay was extended. But again, he was so helpful helping Roger shovel the snow. Roger comment was, "Alex sure is a good worker". We appreciated Alex helping out around the house.



 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sue said...

Cute post and I loved seeing pictures of Alex. I haven't seen him since early September. Thank you for allowing him to stay at the 5 star B&B.